Followers

Monday, September 8, 2014

Diamonds in the Rough

Not wanting to clean off the eye pieces and needing fresh air, I threw off the mask. Plus, I figured this was a solution that could be easily solved by climbing the tree. I love climbing trees. I don't think one is ever too old for it. I had a little bit of difficulty at first. I was a little rusty. It had been a couple years. But once I got my footing, it was a piece of cake. I was like a monkey hoping from branch to branch. Eventually I sat down on the branch that Olivia's parachute was caught on. "You've come to rescue me?" Olivia shouts out. "Damn straight." I pull a jagged rock out of my pocket and scrape the ropes. "What are you doing?" Olivia asks worriedly. "I'm cutting you out." "No, don't do that." "Why not?" "Because then I will fall." I stop what I am doing immediately, but the rope snaps. Olivia falls three feet down. I horridly rush down the tree and help Olivia off the ground. "Are you ok?" I ask as I pull her up. "Yeah, just gonna have a huge bruise on my ass." Olivia takes off her harness. She sees the mask in the pile of mud. She picks it up and brushes the mud off the eye pieces. She examines the mask closely and finds the eye pieces are cracked. "Huh, wonder if it will still work." She thinks out loud. "Try it on." I encourage her. Olivia puts the mask on. "I don't see anything." "Try tapping it." Olivia taps the forehead. Green sparks shoot out by the diamond and then fizzle away. Olivia takes off the mask. "I think it's busted." "That's a shame." I say. "Do you have a screw driver?" Olivia asks me. "Nope." Olivia shrugs. She picks up a rock and beats the mask with it. I grab her by the wrist. "What are you doing?" "The mask might be broken, but we could use the diamond for something." I half smile. "That's not a bad idea." With that Olivia continues to slam the rock against the mask. It takes a few tries, but the diamond does pop out. Olivia smiles big and bright as she holds the diamond in the palm of her hand and exclaims "Eureka."

No comments:

Post a Comment