Followers

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Door Raft.

I have no skills in carpentry. Even if I did I can't seem to find a hammer and nails anywhere on this island. It's not like there is a Home Depot. I have no idea how all those kids assembled their tree houses. Perhaps I'll never know. Seeing as how we are desperate to get off the island, and we don't have the proper tools, we did the only thing we could think of. We ripped a door off an entrance to one of the tree houses. It's not enormous, but it is big enough to fit both of us. I'm sure using a door as a boat won't exactly be easy, but we'll deal with those problems as they come to surface. Right now we're ankle deep in the water. It's tricky to glide the door out and then hop on. We try at first to go one at a time. It is no use. The balance is always slightly off and the other person falls. We decide after a few attempts at this to just hop on at the same time. This isn't exactly easy either. We count to three. On three we both leap up onto the raft. Or so it seems. Olivia is all the way on. I'm half on. Half off. She lays down on her belly and pulls me up. As soon as we are both safely on the raft we paddle like hell. Our arms are tired, and we want to give up. It seems the current is too strong for us, but our efforts pay off. There eventually is a calm. We take our arms out of the water , and let the sea take us where it takes us. Unfortunately the calm does not last at all. A wave comes hurling our way. We are through off the raft and launched back to sea. I think it is time to revise our escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment