Followers

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What Do We Have?

As we walk away from the rustling bonfire, we empty our pockets to see what bits of trash we have. In my pockets I have... small change(mostly pennies and nickles) gum wrappers, and a piece of a cloud. Olivia appears puzzled as I take the cloud out of my pocket. "You never know when you might need it." I say. Olivia reaches into her pockets. She pulls out buttons, pins, flowers, sea shells, and a diamond. "That's not trash." She says about the diamond. I examine our trash. " Looks like we have some work to do." "Yep" Olivia says, half sighing. "What's wrong?" I ask. "What are we doing?" I furrow my brow. " What do you mean?" "Why are we doing this?" "Because we want to get off the island." Olivia takes a deep breath. "But is it really that bad here?" I shake my head no. "No, but it also isn't that great either." Olivia looks up at me. "What do you want?" "Adventure, excitement." Olivia nods. "We can find that here." "No, we can't. Things don't get worse here. But they don't get better either. It's just the same thing day after day." "Then we need to make things different." She says confidently. "I agree. Let's go find the garbage." I pick up the remnants of our pockets and take off. Olivia stands back, bewildered. "That's not what I meant."

No comments:

Post a Comment