Followers

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Letter to Us

Time passed by. Olivia and I grew to enjoy working in the mail room. We'd punch in in the morning. By noon we'd slip out for lunch. There was a hot dog vendor out front that we would frequent. Mind you, they weren't Chicago style hot dogs, but they were acceptable. Then we'd go back, finish up the day, and do it all over again in the morning. It seems utterly predictable and routine when I put it that way. Perhaps it was, though I don't take that as a negative. You knew what you were getting yourself into each day. All you had to do was keep busy and mind your own. No one would bother you. There was no micro managing. None of that nonsense. It was paradise. Things were going so well that I almost forgot we had a life before this. That is until I was sorting through a bin of letters. There was one in particular that caught my eye. The envelope was yellowed with time. On it was a red, wax seal. Curious, I flipped it over. There I saw it was addressed to Olivia and me. "Hey, come here!" I Shouted to her. She rushed to my side and I showed her the letter. "Who sent it?" She asked. "I don't know, there's no return address." We both knew we had seen such a letter before, but we coudln't figure out from where. In dreams perhaps? "Open it." She urged me. Carefully , I opened the envelope. Inside was a single page letter with small type. It read ALL IS WELL WE HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN. And that was it. No signature. No explanation. "Who do you think it is?" Olivia asked. "I have no idea." "Management?" "Maybe." That suggestion rattled us both. We scanned the room for cameras. We couldn't find anything. We went back to work shaken. Someone, or something was watching us.

No comments:

Post a Comment