Followers

Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Lobby


Styrofoam or mug? I'm in the Wellness lobby, deciding how I should drink my coffee this morning . If I take the mug it may be better for the environment. However, how certain can I be that these mugs ate thoroughly cleaned? What is more important to me today? Saving the environment or saving my health? Enough with the nonsense. I reach for the mug. I'm sure they are as clean as clean can be. In the end though, that's not why I took it. I just always liked the look and feel of a mug, but no one needs to know my love of aesthetics outweighs any other concern. Peter, Berry, and Olivia sit on leather chairs and watch a lacrosse game. Berry cheers loudly. Olivia and Peter watch silently. "It's a shame America is only picking up on this game now." Berry shouts. "Yeah, I really don't know much about it." Olivia says. Peter smiles. "That's because it's a rich mans sport." Berry appears offended. "No, you're thinking of Tennis or Golf." "Tennis, not so much anymore, but golf, yes, indeed." Peter replies. "Why is golf a rich man sport?" Olivia asks. "Because rich men need to pay to be bored." Berry quips. Peter ignores him and continues. "Think about it this way, it's a relatively simple sport. The only thing you really need is land, a lot of it. Perhaps something that can only be bought... or conquered." "That's a good theory." Berry says. "You don't buy into it?" Peter asks. "All I'm saying is that if I had all that money I wouldn't make it into a golf course." "What would you spend it on, Berry?" Peter asks. Berry struggles to answer the question. I stumble in and sit on the arm Olivia's chair. "He's here!" Berry shouts, changing the subject. "Berry was just about to explain what he would do with a plot of land that could be used as a golf course if he had all the money in the world." Peter says. "Why does he have to do anything with the land?" I ask. Peter gives an approving nod . "That's what I meant! I just couldn't explain. Because the land is sacred, it shouldn't be touched." He exclaims. " I'm sure that's what you meant. Anyways, we have something for you." Peter says to me, brushing off the previous conversation. Berry takes a deep breath. "Yeah, something for the both of you." Peter reaches into his breast pocket. He pulls out a letter with a red, wax seal. "You must deliver this." Peter says, sternly. "What is it?" I ask. "That is of no concern. You are to deliver it, and that is all." "Where is it going?" "Your ride will know." He says confidently. I stare blankly. "Remember that falcon I rode a few months back?" Olivia asks me. "Yes." "It was sent from here." I'm still unsure how to respond. "Are we being kicked out of the club?" I ask. "No." Peter responds. "I don't understand. Were we a bad fit?" "No, but you are needed elsewhere." I stand, bewildered. Peter rests his hand on my shoulder. "Trust all will be well."

No comments:

Post a Comment