Followers

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Ungulate

We venture to the second floor up a spiral staircase. The steps are seemingly unconnected and floating in air."What do you think so far?" Peter asks. "It's impressive." Olivia responds. "Good, there is plenty of splendor left." We reach the top of the stairs. Peter takes us to a large room. The walls are white and filled with scuff marks. "This is where one would go to play racket ball." He says. His voice bouncing off the walls. "This is like a gym." I say. "Yes, yes. There are many similarities. Do either of you play the sport of racket ball?" We both shake our heads no. "Do you?" Olivia asks. "Oh, no, but I hear it's a great deal of fun." "I always found it to be a bit unnerving." I reply. "I could see that. You know who frequents this place?" He asks. "Who?" Olivia wonders. Peter smiles. " Well, not so much a matter of who." "What?" I ask. "Ungulates." He says, excitedly. "What is that?" I ask. "Ungulates are creatures with hooves." He replies. Olivia and I stare at each other."So, it's horses?" I ask. "No." "Bulls or cows?" Olivia asks. "Not exactly." "What do you mean by that?" I ask. Just then we hear a loud stomping. "Sounds like one of them just arrived." Peter says. The door swings open. Though we are a few feet away, I can tell this is no ordinary creature. It's what's found at the heart of a mythological maze. A hoofed animal with the body of a man and head of a bull. It's a Minotaur! It carries a broad sword and stand menacingly before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment