Followers

Saturday, July 30, 2016

The Other Patient

The four of us became pale as ghosts. No one spoke. No one made a single sound. It was as if we all  thought "If we don't make a noise maybe he'll forget we are here." Of course that idea did not pan out. The dividing curtain was pulled up. We saw a crippled Jones on a wheelchair with his right leg in a cast. "Jones? Is that you?" Olivia asks. "It is." He replies. "What happened to you?" Jones glances down at his bandaged leg. "Sgt. Rodgers was displeased with me. She put a knife into my thigh." "Fuck." I say out loud. "Yeah. It hurt like hell. Thankfully she missed the main artery. Still it will be a while till I can walk." "Well, I'm glad you're recovering." Olivia says, hesitantly. There was an awkward silence. "I know what you guys are thinking." Jones says. "And what's that?" I ask. "You're wondering if I'm gonna rat you out." "Well, are you?" Norm asks. "Why the hell would I? Look at me. But if you guys are staging a coup then include me. I want out of here too." "That's fine. We could use an insider." Olivia says. "Good. Now you three get out of here. Davies will be back in any minuet." "But we need to discuss plans." Todd insists. "We'll discuss plans." Jones says pointing to Norm. "Come back at dinner time with our food."

No comments:

Post a Comment