Followers

Friday, August 11, 2017

Messengers

We huddled close as the prehistoric beasts stared down at us with their blood red eyes.  Our teeth were chattering. "I really wish you wouldn't run."  One of them says. "What do you expect?We were being chased by dinosaurs." Olivia says. This insults both of them. "We are not dinosaurs."  The other says. "Oh no? Then what are you?" I ask. "We are pterodactyls." The fisrt says, confidently. I raise an eyebrow. "Aren't those the same thing?" "They most certainly are not." The second replies, outraged. "I don't understand. What's the difference?" Olivia asks. "We are two different species." The first one shouts. "But you existed the same time as dinosaurs. So wouldn't that make you a dinosaur?" I wonder. "No, that is not how that works. Squirrels exist in your time, but does that make you a squirrel?" "It doesn't. " I admit. "There. Now stop saying offensive things." There is a brief moment of silence. "What the hell is going on?" Olivia asks. The second pterodactyl caughs "I'll get right to it. Your reality is dying." I look around. "I know it's not the best neighborhood, but I feel like only we can say that." "Enough. Your reality is dying and there is nothing you can do about it." "Nothing?" Olivia questions. "Nothing. The program has ended and soon this reality will as well." "What program?" I ask. "The program for this world. It has run it's course. It is done." The first pterodactyl says. "Then what do we do?" "Other than wait? Nothing?" It says. The two pterodactyls open their wings. They appear to stretch across the sky. "Can we come with you?" I plead. "You cannot." The second one replies coldly. Without saying another word they take off into the sky. In a matter of seconds they are beyond the puffy clouds, and Olivia and I are left alone to wonder exactly what are we to do with this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment