Followers

Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Accountant


Peter leads us to a basement office. It's significantly different than the rest of the Wellness Center. It's dark and cold. Papers and files are everywhere. A woman in her mid forties sits behind a metallic desk and types away on a computer. She has a bright orange beehive hairdo and thick, black glasses. "Bethany, there is someone to see you." Peter announces as we walk up to her desk. Bethany glances up from her computer. "Oh yeah? What for?" "They wish to purchase the library." Peter responds. Bethany snorts. "I'll let you take it from here." Peter says while walking away. "Ok, why are you really here?" Bethany asks. "We want to buy the library." Olivia replies. Bethany sinks down in her chair. "I don't know if he told you, but we don't operate with money here." She says. "Peter did say that. However, we gave him a magic camera. That should count for something." Olivia explains. "A magic camera?" She repeats. "It allows you to teleport." I elaborate. Bethany bites her lip. "That is something that would be highly sought after." She says. "Do we have a deal?" I ask. Bethany sighs. "Let me pull up your file first." "You won't find us." I saw in a low voice. "And why not?" "Because technically we're not members." Olivia says. Bethany removes her glasses. "What do you mean?" She asks, annoyed. "We used the magic camera to become honorary members. It's not official." I tell her. "If you're not members, I can't help you." "How do we become members?" Olivia asks. Bethany shakes her head. "You don't become a member. You are born into it." "If that's true then how did we find this place?" I question. "I don't know. You probably asked the right questions to the right people." "That means we deserve to be here!" Olivia shouts. Bethany puts her glasses back on. "I'll level with you. The magic camera was a good find , but I don't know if that will be enough to turn the library over to you." "What if I told you we could get you more things like the camera?" I say. "Such as?" "How about a golden shield that contains a deadly element? So deadly that no Earthly person should have it." I suggest. Bethany looks to Olivia. "Is this true?" Olivia nods. "Alright. Where is it?" "New York City." I respond. "What? Why is this lethal item in one of the largest cities?" She asks, dumbfounded. "It's a long story." Olivia says . Bethany sighs again. She types away on the computer. "I'm sending out a form for a falcon." "Does that mean we get the library?" Olivia asks. "Retrieve the item. Then we'll talk." She scowls. Bethany continues typing. "Do you have a more approximate idea of where it would be?" I smile to myself. "The Metropolitan Museum of Art."

No comments:

Post a Comment