Followers

Friday, May 22, 2015

The Guard


Ten minutes is a long time when you have something to occupy your time. It's even longer when you don't. I don't think it was a full ten minutes. We counted two Mississippies then got bored. Our anxiety and eagerness got the best of us. I tried to open the door slowly. It still creaked loud as ever. The man with the sunglasses popped into view when it was fully open. "May I help you?" He asks. "We wanted fresh air." Olivia says. "You need rest." He responds. "Have you been out there this whole time?" I ask. "I was given the task of watching you two." "And you're gonna stay out there all night?" Olivia asks. "I'm doing shifts with this other guy." He says. "How can we trust you? How can we trust him?" Olivia asks. He shrugs. "Trust me, don't trust me. I don't care, but I was given a job. I'm gonna do it. Now go to bed." He demands. I back up into the house and close the door. "Can we sleep with the bubble?" I ask. "We can try, but it'll probably go off if I'm not concentrating. I sigh. "Look's like we're sleeping in shifts."

No comments:

Post a Comment