Followers

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Bearer of Bad News

Our meal was interrupted by a loud banging at the front door. The baker answered the knocking to find a disheveled Todd on the other side. He was panting  and trying  to catch his breath. "What is the matter?" The baker asks. "There was trouble." Todd replies. "What kind of trouble?" "They got him." The baker's cheery demeanor fades. "What?" "They got him. He was captured." "We have to get him." "I know, but let me alert the others." The baker reluctantly lets Todd in. Olivia , Peter, and I were still in the kitchen when Todd confronts us with a grave look on his face. "Back so soon?" I ask, not thinking anything of his sullen expression. A moment later the baker enters. She is tense. "Yes, he is." She says, simply. Olivia rises slowly. "What happened?" "There was a problem." He tells her. "What kind of problem?" She asks. "They got him." He says. Olivia grasps the back of the chair. She digs her nails into the wood. "I knew this would happen." "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to." Olivia takes a deep breath. "How exactly did it happen?" "He was ambushed." "He was ambushed?" She repeats. "Yes, he was." "And where were you when that happened?" She questions. "I was in the sky." "And what were you doing in the sky?" "I was his eyes." "So that means you could probably see a lot from your vantage point." "I could see everything." "And you didn't think to stop and help?!" She shouts. Olivia got so worked up that she was shaking. She had to sit again. Peter attempted to calm the situation. "Believe it or not, he actually did the right thing." "Explain." Olivia says. She is still upset , but her voice is a little softer. "Todd could have swooped down. Maybe he would have had some luck. Maybe not. He could have gotten captured as well, and then where would we be?" "Having a similar conversation." Olivia responds, sarcastically. "If you two are done with your bickering my husband is out there." "And we intend to rescue him." Peter assures. "Then let's go. Now." She snaps. "We need a plan first." Peter says. "What?" "We do. We can't just go down there." I add. "Why?" She asks. "Because I'm sure they're expecting us, and we can't do what they expect." I explain. The baker sighs. She pulls out a chair and takes a seat. "Ok. I'm ready to plan."

No comments:

Post a Comment