Followers

Monday, January 25, 2016

The Arrangement

"I'm not fighting. Not for you at least." I proclaim to Ruth. Ruth raises an eyebrow. "Not fighting? Don't you remember our arrangement?" "Fuck the arrangement." "Is that how you feel?" Ruth asks while tapping the floor with her torch. "Yes, it is." "Is it truly how you feel?" "Yes." Ruth taps the floor again. "That's too bad." She takes a step back. The floor beneath my  feet begins to disintegrate. All the stones start to fall away. I try and step away from the area, but  every step I take is deadlier  than the last. There is no safe way to walk without having the ground disappear beneath my feet. Soon I find myself on a single, solitary piece of stone that hovers above a deep pit. At the the bottom of the pit are jagged, sharp, spears. Ruth lurks in the shadows at the other end of the room away from the pit. I can see the door. I reach my hand out. Maybe I can touch it. Maybe I can even jump for it. "I know what you're thinking. It's no use." Ruth says. "Oh yeah?"I reply, cockily. "Yes, I know for a fact you'll never make it." "You underestimate me?" "I do, but that's beside the point." I clench my fists. "I have to try at least." "A smarter move would be fighting with me."  "It's not the right choice." "It is because you'll be living." "It's not the moral thing to do." "Who cares about morals? Do you know how much pain you'll be in if you fall into that pit? Trust me, you're better off if you join me." I hang my head. "Fine, I'll fight with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment