Followers

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Orders?

Ruth was too preoccupied with speeding towards Olivia to notice my sudden departure from her talons. That was fortunate for me. It made my task slightly easier. I ventured into the high, grassy area. The blades of grass were wild like jungle leaves. They grew well above my head. As long as I kept a steady pace ahead of Ruth she couldn't spot me easily in the grass. The problem was , however, that I couldn't see what was directly in front of me. I ended up crashing into the back of a soldier. He turned around, and looked at me with disgust. He pointed his sword in my face. "Where do you think you're going?" "You have to pull your troops out." The soldier laughs at my plight. "Why should I?" "Because those are the orders." I reply. "Orders from who?" "The queen herself." "Why would she  call in that order?" "I don't know, but I'm the general. That means that I am the next in command." I explain. "You don't look like a general." "What do you expect a general to look like?" "Like one of us." I shake my head. "No, I can't look like any of you. I have to stand out." He pokes the blade against my cheek. "I don't believe you." In the distance I can hear Ruth's falcon cries. "You hear that?" I ask. "Yeah, it's one of them falcons." "It's our Queen." I respond. "Bullshit." "It is, and she's going to need a place to land. So you better clear out." The soldier doesn't budge. "Do you really want to endure her wrath?" I question. The soldier removes the sword from my face. He addresses his men. "We have orders. Pull back." I watch them fall back. It's only a small fraction of the army, but I take solace knowing that I made a dent.

No comments:

Post a Comment