Followers

Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Exit

After I gave Ruth my word that I would reclaim my title as general and lead her army to victory, she promptly tapped the floor with her torch. Instantaneously, the fallen stones rematerialized. Before I knew it, the deep pit was completely out of sight, and I was on solid ground once more. I stood there for a moment, mesmerized. I wondered if it was a hallucination. Was there ever a threat beneath my feet? "Come on, we haven't got all day." Ruth shouts, snapping me out of my daze. She reaches out to the nearest wall, and slides it open. An intense ray of light shines in. "Was that what you were looking for?" She asks. "It was." "Then let's go." "I don't understand." I respond. "What don't you understand?" "This is your dungeon. Why are we leaving this way?" "Because I want to." She says, simply. "Do you have a rope?" "No, I have something better." She says, extending her withered , old hand to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment