Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Vacant Dungeon?

The door to the dungeon was ajar. That could mean one of two things. Either the guards on duty were horribly negligent, or the prisoners were set free. The former was the more likely scenario in my eyes. Either way I couldn't rule out the possibility that the hunter may still be be trapped inside. What kind of rescuer would I be if I did? I pushed the door open. The torch light from the stairway partially illuminated the dungeon. Not enough for me to see three feet in front of me, but it did give me the impression that the room was vacant. "Hello." I shout. My voice bouncing off the cold, stone walls. There was no response. No horrendous wailings. Nothing. "Come on Penny, let's get out of here." As I turned to exit a man let out shriek. "What is it?" I ask. "My hand. You're on my hand." The voice cries out. I lift my foot. "That's better." I crouch down on the floor. "Is that you?" I ask, still not knowing the hunter's name. "They got me. I let you all down." "Hey, it's ok. We're gonna get you out of here." "I'm weak." Indeed, he was. While I couldn't see him entirely, I knew from his frail voice that he was only a fragment of his former self. "I got you." I say, placing my hands under his emaciated body. Granted, I am not the strongest person in the world, but this was like lifting air. I carefully placed him on Penny's back. "I want you to take him to the top of the cliff. Wait for me there. I want to see if there are others." I instruct Penny . She dutifully nods. I watch her exit before starting my search. Then, without warning, the dungeon door slams shut, leaving me in darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment