Followers

Friday, January 29, 2016

Transition

Ruth's hands were rougher than sandpaper. That was the only thing I could think of as she guided me to the edge of the cliff. Perhaps I was finding a way to distance myself from the already absurd situation. The howling winds snapped me back into the present. "Do you have a harness?" I ask, trying my best not to look down. "No, I do not." Ruth continues to lead me along the narrow ledge. "Where are we going?" I ask. "You'll see." Midway down the ledge, Ruth stops walking. "Are we going to climb?" "Better." She says with a grin. Ruth squeezes my hand and leaps off the edge. I reluctantly tumble after her. She lets go of my hand as we free fall. Ruth gains speed, and she does a swan dive. I watch her transition into a falcon. First her arms become wings. Then her mouth is elongated and more bird like. After that her legs become talons. Finally, when it appears as if she is about to hit the Earth , her torso grows feathers, making the transition complete. She quickly pulls back into the sky, avoiding her demise. She then  snags me by the cape with her talons, and we take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment