Followers

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Malt Shop

The malt shop was a nice resting point for the three of us. Even if there were no tasty beverages for us to enjoy, it was great to be able to relax. Olivia and I sat at a booth while Norm wore a paper hat and pretended he was a 1950's soda jerk. "Where do you think we are?" Olivia asks. "I don't know, but I think we were here before. Remember  right before we got abducted by aliens?" "I do, but I still have no concept where we are." I shrug. "Hey shouldn't you kids be in school?" Norm chimes in with his waiter humor. "We're too cool for school." Olivia says playing along. "Oh yeah? Bet you're not too cool for the best root bear float in town." "Never." Norm places a dirty class under the soda faucet. He pulls the lever, but only dust comes out. "Piece of junk." Norm says in his regular voice. "That'll just be the new house favorite." I reply. But before Norm can come up with more witty banter, we are interrupted by what sounds like a tornado siren. The three of us cover our ears right away, but the blaring noise shakes the windows. I can feel the vibrations in my stomach. This siren lasts for what feels like forever. When it finally stops Norm stares out the window in disbelief. "What was that?" He asks. "It was a siren." I explain. "But why?" "I guess to alert us of a disaster." "But who would be doing that?" Olivia wonders. "It could be Eagle Eyes. It could be anyone of them." I suggest. "But if they are all together in that building who would they need to alert?" She asks. Norm scratches his head. "Maybe there's other people here."

No comments:

Post a Comment