Followers

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Enchanting Speaker

I couldn't hear or understand a word the man in the black said. He wasn't speaking a foreign language, and he enunciated perfectly, yet I couldn't understand him. It was as if there was a door in my ear canal preventing his words from entering. All I could do was watch. He used grand gestures and his posture was on point. The audience hung to his every word. I thought it possible that they were all lost like me untill they all simultaneously applauded. There was a roaring ovation. He took a bow. I sighed in relief. I knew I could finally ask to use the phone. Unfortunately, the audience got up and left before I could open my mouth. They didn't quietly exit either. They stampeded  out of the room like a herd of elephants. It was a miracle I wasn't trampled.  The only ones left in room after that were me and the speaker. He saw me and mistook that for earnest enthusiasm. He walked up to me. "What did you think?" "It was good." He looked down at my bare feet. "You're a fish out of water." "I guess you could say that." "What did you think?" He asks again. "It was good." I know it's not what he was looking for, but it's all I can think to say. Then I change the subject. "Do you have a phone I can use?" "A telephone?" "Yes." "Or a cellular phone?" "Either or. It doesn't matter." I  say. He scratches his chin. "I can do you one better." "You can?" "Yes,but I need you to stick around for the second half. Could you do that?" "Ok." "Good." He glances at his Rolex watch. "Second half will start in five minutes. "

No comments:

Post a Comment