Followers

Monday, April 3, 2017

Mrs. Robin

I didn't view the bird as particularly threatening, but I didn't want to be pecked to death either, so I kept my distance. I sidestepped a little and I could see its orange chest. It was a robin. The bird of spring. I took that as a good sign. "I just want to apologize. I think we got off on the wrong foot." The robin cocks its head. I realize it might not understand me. "How is that that this is the only creature we've encountered lately that doesn't speak English?" I shout to Olivia. "I don't know, but try anyways." Olivia says. I take a deep breath. "Me and my friend over there..." I point to Olivia. "We accidentally threw a rock at your home." The robin raises its wings and caws loudly. "It was an accident. Complete accident. We didn't mean to." I assure. The robin lowers its wings. "We were trying to hit that window up there." I point to the window. The robin cocks its head in that direction. "We really need to get up to that window. Could you perhaps give us a ride?" The robin caws angrily at me. "Okay. I wouldn't give me a ride either. But we really need this. We'll do anything for you. We'll even help repair your home." The robin thinks for a moment then nods. She looks at Olivia in the distance and ushers her to come closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment