Followers

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Throwing Rocks

We had to enter Hilda's Inn if for no other reason than returning to our normal sizes. We couldn't do it our own. We knew Hilda was the only one who could help us, but we were locked out. I, however, did not want to give up. I climbed out of the hollow, slid down the base, and ran to the side of the tree. By the time Olivia caught up to me I was still panting. "What are you doing?" She asks. I point to a window near the top of the tree. "Yeah, so? It's a window." "That's the room with the bunkbeds." "Ok." "Remember when there was a storm and Norm came through the window?" "Are you suggesting we climb the tree?" I shake my head.  "Then what?" She asks. "Norm, or Freddy, or Jacob is probably in that room right now. All we gotta do is throw a rock a rock at the window to get their attention." "It's not a bad idea. There's only one problem." She says. "What's that?" "We're basically gnats right now. If no one could hear us knocking on the door they're not gonna hear us throwing rocks." "But don't you think we should try?" I  ask. Olivia sighs. "I suppose." I grab a handful of pebbles. I throw them as hard as I possibly can.  Unfortunately, not one single pebble hits the window. They all either hit the middle or miss the tree entirely. Olivia rests her hand on my shoulder. "You made a good effort." "You wanna try?" I ask. Olivia half smiles. "Sure." She grabs a handful of pebbles and tosses them in the direction of window. They appear to fly past the window and into the branches. Half a second later we hear an angry bird caw. "What was that?" Olivia asks, worried. "I don't know,  but I don't think it was the window." It caws again. Olivia turns to me, pale. "We have to get out of here. "

No comments:

Post a Comment