Followers

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Frustrated Speaker

The man in the black suit dragged me on stage in front of everybody.  If that wasn't embarrassing enough he proceeded to point to my bare feet. Despite the fact that I couldn't hear a word he was saying, I knew he was mocking me. I knew he only wanted to point out how different I was than everyone else. I don't know why I went along with it, and I don't know why I stayed. After he was done doing whatever he was doing the audience applauded. He then ushered for me to take my seat. I watched the rest of the man's performance in a daze. I looked around. It seemed everyone else was enjoying it.  Really enjoying it.  What was I missing? He finished the second half.  There was a roaring applause. The next few minutes were filled him shaking the hands of his adoring fans.  I overheard some of the sappy remarks from some of them. They gushed about how inspirational he was and that he was a gift to the world. He eventually got to me. He asked what I thought of the second half.  Again, all I could think to say was "good." "Good. There's that word again." "Good is not a bad word. It's...um...good."  "I suppose not. I was just hoping you'd increase your vocabulary. But no matter what did you think of my advice to you?" "It was.." I refrain from saying "good." "It was a lot to take in." He nods his head. "Indeed. I hope you can follow my advice." "I will. Now, do you have a phone I could use?" He glares at me. "You have a one track mind, don't you?" "It's possible, but we had a deal." I say. The man takes a deep breath. He reaches in his breast pocket. He pulls out a business card and hands it to me. "What's this?" I ask. "It's my card. I'm still reserving a little hope that you'll care." He then stomps out of the room. I look down at the card. JAMES BEAN
MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKER .....and Beyond. "Don't worry about him." I hear a familiar voice say.  I glance up from the card to see Hilda standing by the doorway, smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment