Followers

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Black Tulip

Bella gave us a single tulip with a long, dainty stem. It's color was a dark purple. So dark that it appeared black. It seemed an odd choice, but we thanked her nonetheless. We went back to the fountain shop. There we placed our strange tulip in a vase at a booth. We started to like it. Unfortunately, not everyone shared our feeling about it. "What the hell' s that?" Wilber shouts from behind the counter. "It's a flower." I reply. "I know that. What's it doing here?" "It's a gift. It's to brighten up the place." Olivia explains. "What? You think this place is too dark? Too depressing for you?" "No. What do you have against flowers?" Olivia asks. "This is a place where people go to eat. I can't have flowers. The pedals fall off and get in the food. It's a health code violation." "You've got to be Kidding me.  You're concerned about health codes? You work with a racoon." I point out.  Wilber takes a deep breath. "I'll make him wear gloves and a hat." "And pants." I mutter. "Who gave you the flower?" Wilber shouts, changing the subject. "The woman next door." I say. "That's it!" Wilber throws down his hat. He grabs his crutch and wobbles to the door. "Where are you going?" Olivia asks. Wilber half turns to us. "I'm going to give that woman a piece of my mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment