Followers

Friday, June 16, 2017

Dead Weight

The mad prisoner was dead weight ...literally. Olivia and I had to half carry half drag him down the vacant  streets. "Does this ever happen?" I ask Olivia. "Not usually." She replies, trying to catch her breath. "Why is this happening?" "I don't know." "Can we at least take a break? I think I'm going to pull out my back." "Yeah,sure."  We carefully place the prisoner on the pavement. I stretch out my arms and legs before finally turning to Olivia. "What's the plan?" I ask. "What do you mean?" "I mean are we gonna bring him back to society? Are we gonna try to rehabilitate him?" "Yes to all the above." I half smile to myself. "What's so funny?" She demands. "Are you gonna pink heart him every time he gets out of line?" "If I have to. " She says. I shake my head. "What's your plan? Let him stay here? Wait for him to do something crazy again?" "He might not." I insist. "But he might." Olivia snaps. There is a brief, cold silence. Olivia looks down at the unconscious prisoner. "What am I talking about? You're right, this is all speculative. I still don't feel safe leaving him though." "How about we leave him here for now, but we keep tabs on him?" I suggest. Olivia nods in agreement. "Ok. Let's drag him somewhere safe for now."

No comments:

Post a Comment