Followers

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Captive

Not being bound in chains made for a slightly easier trek. However, we were not to be lulled into a false sense of security. We had sharp spears to our backs. We knew we were prisoners. The tribesmen marched us to a plateau near the twin waterfalls. There we saw the most grisly sight. Penny was tied tight to a sundial with her wings spread far apart. The main tribesman crosses in front of us, and extends his arm. "Do you know this bird?" "Yes! Don't hurt her!" Olivia cries. "Do you know she is even more unwelcome here than you two?" "We had a deal." I shout. "I know. I am well aware. I will happily keep it if you leave now." "How are we supposed to leave without her?" I ask. "You can swim for all I care. Do we have a deal?" Olivia and I are hesitant to respond. The tribesman walks toward Penny with his spear in hand, ready to strike. "We'll go!" Olivia pleads. The tribesman turns around. "I knew you'd come to your senses." He then continues to walk towards Penny, still aiming his spear at her. "What are you doing? We said we'd go." I question. "The deal was that I'd let her live if you leave. I never said I wouldn't torture her." "Please don't." Olivia shouts , with tears in her eyes. "It's either that or everybody dies. What's it going to be?" There is a brief silence. Olivia sniffles. "Can I at least see her one last time?" The tribesman takes a deep breath. "Fine. But just you. Only you." The tribesman grabs Olivia by the arm and shoves her to Penny. Olivia kneels at the sundial. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I never meant for this to happen." Penny coos softly. Olivia places her hands less than an inch from Penny's body. A pink mist flows out of Olivia's palms and into Penny's chest. Luckily, the tribesman could not see the pink mist, but the show of affection was enough to disgust him. In a fit of rage he rushes to Olivia. Fortunately, before he can grab Olivia again Penny bursts from her shackles. The tribesman, caught off guard , stands there for half a beat. It is a small widow, but allows allows Olivia enough time to hop on Penny's back. Penny then knocks over the tribesman with her wing. The other two tribesmen toss their spears at Penny and Olivia. They narrowly avoid the assault as they fly off cliff. The main tribesman comes to his feet. He grabs his spear and smacks me with the butt of it. The hit doesn't cause a loss of consciousness, but is hard enough for my mouth to bleed. The other two tribesmen grab my arms. The main tribesmen looks me in the eyes. "At least we have you."

No comments:

Post a Comment