Followers

Monday, November 9, 2015

Out of the Pit

Ruth said that she would get us out of the hole, but she never said when that would happen. I suppose it's a form of mental torture. We were literally left in the dark. The hours passed and we gave in to our fatigue. Neither Olivia nor I wanted to sleep. It would claim us anyways. That night the cold, muddy floor became my best friend. I awoke the next morning to find a wooden ladder inches from my eyes. "Hurry up! I don't have all day." A crotchety voice shouts from the surface. I nudged Olivia and we began our climb. It was a rickety, old ladder, so we looked down the entire time. I wish I would have thrown caution to the wind because as soon as I reached the top and raised my head I found a spear pointed at my throat. There were two other spear men. They were positioned on opposite sides of the hole. They aimed their spears at Olivia and were ready to toss them like javelins should she choose to move. "What's going on?" I ask, steady as I can. The main spear man looks me straight in the eyes. "We'll ask the questions. come with us. Now."

No comments:

Post a Comment