Followers

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Pitfall



Pine trees aren't difficult to climb, but I'd be lying if I said they were the most enjoyable tree to climb. Getting the proper footing isn't a problem. It's the occasional poke of a pine needle that is jarring. However, I can take even that. It's what happens to your hands afterwards that I don't like. They get caked in a gooey sap. As soon as I got to the ground I wanted to run to the river and dunk my hands in the water. I wanted to , but didn't. "Instead I sucked it up... sort of. I had a grimace on my face, and my hands were spread far apart so that they wouldn't touch my clothes. Olivia noticed my peculiar walk. "I know. My hands feel weird too." "Maybe if I think of the plan it will distract me." "What is the plan?" Olivia asks. "We go in there guns blazing." Olivia shakes her head. "What? You don't like it?" "It would be fun, but I know we need a solid plan." She says. "But why? All we gotta do is throw up your shield." "And then what?" I shrug. We both stop talking. The only thing that can be heard is the crunching of the leaves beneath our feet. "You think they can hear us?" I ask. Olivia stops walking. She turns to me. Her face is white. "You think they can?" She asks, worriedly. "Maybe, but like I said all you gotta do is throw up your shield. " I continue walking. Olivia follows close behind me. "I guess. It just feels like we should plan more." We take a step into a pile of leaves, unaware that there is nothing under it. We topple into a pit that is about eight feet deep. Olivia frantically searches for a root or something to cling to. I take a seat. "I guess we can plan now."

No comments:

Post a Comment