Followers

Sunday, November 1, 2015

November Air

As much as we wanted to drop Todd of anywhere, we couldn't do that. Believe me we wanted to, but we couldn't. We needed to find a safe place where we could trust that nothing bad would happen to him. When you are flying miles above the ground, a safe place isn't easy to spot. Everything looks like a model town. Model towns are pleasant in appearance, but looks can be decieving. We seldonmly fly close enough to the ground to see the nitty gritty details of each individual town. Rather, we let the cool November air hit our faces. We get lost in the moment. There is a certain freedom in an aimless flight. It is peaceful until Todd opens his eyes. He lets out a bloddcurdling scream. His cries disrupt Penny's equilibrium. She takes a sudden nose dive. I take the reins and regain control of the bird. "Where are we?" Todd shouts. "You're on a falcon." I quip. "I can see that, but why?" "The wellness center was in decay. We had to leave." "But why am I tied?" "Because you were two sheets to the wind." Olivia replies. Todd becomes quiet for a moment. "I suppose I was overindulging." "You think?" I say. "I was. Where are we going?" "We're looking for a safe place to drop you off." I inform. "You two aren't coming with me?" "I'm afraid not. This is where we part." Olivia says. "But why?" I clear my throat. "Because we don't need you anymore." "Sure you do. You need me to run the Wellness Center." "There is no Wellness Center." Olivia shouts. "But there will be as soon as I build it." "We're not falling for that again." Olivia says. "I know I fell short as a boss, but give me another chance." "Why?" I ask. "Because I can do this." Neither Olivia nor I say a word. "I know there is nothing in it for you two, but if you land somewhere I assure you I can rebuild a society. Please, I need this." I sigh. "Fine, but we pick the location."

No comments:

Post a Comment