Followers

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Judge's Chamber

Olivia was hoping to see Peter. Instead she saw a vacant chamber. It wasn't like the typical chamber. This one had a closer appearance to a small apartment than an office. There was no desk, but there was a cot and a shelf filled with law books. Olivia skimmed the various tittles. Buried in the mix was Peter's almanac. Surprised, but delighted, Olivia placed the jack- lantern on the cot and pulled out the book. "I wonder why he kept this thing. It is from 1984 after all." Olivia sits down on the cot. "But if he's kept this that means that real Peter is still alive." Olivia opens the book. Penny caws at her. "You're right, Penny. I should read by the candle." Olivia positions herself closer to the burning candle. Penny caws again. "What now?" Penny points to the pumpkin with her beak. "Yeah, I guess we could put the candle in the Jack - O - Lantern." Olivia carefully places the candle inside the pumpkin. She then continues her reading. A moment later she hears heavy breathing over her shoulder. "Penny, was that you?" She asks, worriedly. "Do not be afraid." A groggy voice calls out. Olivia jumps off the cot. "Who's there?" She shouts. "Down here." The voice says. Olivia looks down to see the Jack - O - Lantern animated. It smiles slowly. Olivia screams. "I mean no harm." It says. "Then why are you here? What do you want from me?" "You called on me." "What are you talking about?" She asks. "You placed the burning candle in me." "I didn't know it would make you come alive." "You're not from around here, are you?" It asks. "Actually, no, I'm not." The Jack - O - Lantern half smiles. "Then this is your lucky day. I am from the spirit world. I can give you wisdom." "You're from the spirit world?" She questions. "Yes, our people never truly go away. But the living have trouble contacting us." "So they carve pumpkins and then place candles in them?" Olivia asks. "Pumpkins come from the Earth during the time when door to the spirit world is wide open." "Is that why Ruth didn't want pumpkins because she didn't want anyone gaining knowledge from the dead?" "It is. This practice has not been done in a very long time." Olivia inches closer to the pumpkin. "Is there a message you can give me to help me out?" "Yes, but I feel my window closing. I don't know how much longer I can talk." "That's fine. Tell me what you can." Olivia urges. "Listen closely. All is an illusion." "All is an illusion." Olivia repeats. "Yes, all is an illusion. All is an illusion." With that , a gust of wind blows out the candle. The talking Jack - O - lantern is a normal pumpkin once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment