Followers

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Fireplace Questions

Todd warms himself by the fireplace. He has a blanket wrapped around his shoulders, and he stares at the flames blankly. The baker sits in an adjacent armchair. "Thank you for letting me stay." Todd says, still staring at the flames. "What else would I have done? It's raining." "Doesn't matter. Some people would have turned me away." "I guess I'm not some people." Todd smiles. "Well, thank you." "Think nothing of it." She replies. "I'm almost dry." "Good. I still wouldn't go out yet." Todd cranes his neck to the window. The storm is raging outside. "I suppose not." He says. There is a brief silence. "So, you really haven't seen those people?" He asks. "I haven't. Honest." Todd casts his eyes down. "I'll find them." He mutters. "I don't understand. Are they criminals?" Todd laughs. "No, I'm serious. The way you're asking for them makes me believe they are." "They're not criminals." Todd assures. "Then who are they?" "They're my employees." "Did you ever think of hiring new people?" "I have." "And?" The baker says, trying to pull more words out of him. Todd droops his shoulders. "I need them." The baker leans forward in her armchair. "If you love someone, let them go." "It's not that simple. They also took the last falcon, and I have no way of leaving." "Falcon? Where are you from?" She questions. "Far away." "Where are you going?" Todd shakes his head, knowing that he is about to tell the craziest story. "I'm searching for a forgotten tribe. They have all my falcons as well as my gatekeeper, and those two employees who I've just mentioned." The baker's face grows pale. Todd realizes now he is on to something, but before he can say anything more, he is interrupted by the front door creaking open. "What's that?" He asks. The baker is panic stricken. "It's my husband. Hide."

No comments:

Post a Comment