Followers

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Death and Destruction

Pure desolation. Nothing but destruction and carnage around every corner. I see countless piles of mangled soldiers. Most are dead. Some desperately clinging to life. It's hard to deal with, but even harder for Jones. Some of the soldiers he knew well. Some he considered friends. His face was red. I could see he was chocking back tears as he spoke to me in a quiet rage. "That bitch. That bitch did this. I'll kill her. Give me my gun." "No." "What do you mean no?" I sigh. I remove the ammunition clip and hand Jones the gun. Jones laughs to himself. "You think you're so clever, don't you?" I shrug. "Give me my ammo." He screams. "I can't do that." "What do you mean you can't?" "Jones, you're unstable right now." "Who the fuck cares if I'm stable or not. I want revenge." "Jones, look around. This was done by one person. You really think you can stop her?" "I can try." "Jones, you're no match for her." "Fuck you." He shouts at the top of his lungs. I take a deep  breath. "You're the last soldier. Why don't you go home?" "I have no home besides some of these soldiers we can save. We have to go to the Grand Tower." "That's the worst place to be right now." I say. "More reason for us to defend it then." "Jones, even if I wanted to I couldn't. They'd shoot me as soon as they saw me."  "Not if you showed up with me." He says holding up his rifle. "But there's no ammo in that." "They don't have to know that." I pause to reflect. "I was a prisoner once." I say. Jones nods. "Yes, but this time will be different." I know it won't,and normally I don't help the enemy, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for Jones. So, I went along with the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment