Followers

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Make Him Welcome

Olivia and I had no trouble at all fnding the willow tree. We stepped inside to the cozy , turn of the century kitchen. I made some tea for the two of us, but she seemed distracted . She barely touched her tea. Eventually she spoke. "I feel guilty." "About what?" Olivia stared at me for a moment. "You know." She says. "Yeah, I do." "What should we do?" She asks. "I don't know. You want to go back there?" Olivia shakes her head. "No. I think it's too late for that." I think for a moment. "Well, we can at least make this place more welcoming." "How?" "Maybe we could place chocolates on his pillow." "Like a hotel?" Olivia asks. "Yeah, like a hotel." I smile. I start rummaging through the drawers. I don't see anything at first. Just toothpicks, crackers and canned food. "It was a nice idea." Olivia says. "I can't give up. I'm determined." I continue rummaging through the drawers and cabinets. Pots and pans are being tossed about. The floor is now a mess, but my efforts pay off.(Sort of.) In the back corner of the cabinet I find a plastic bag filled with horehound candy. I proudly display it for Olivia. "What is that?" Olivia asks, confused. "This is horehound candy." "That's an unfortunate name." She says. "It's an even more unfortunate taste. Definitely not one of my favorites." "Well, it's the thought that counts." I smile at her remark. "How right you are."

No comments:

Post a Comment