Followers

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Fear Of Smoke

My muscles were tense and my mind was troubled. A new fear was running through my body. This one was not of existential dread, but more on what I would see. A massive explosion went off. One that Jones and I could feel miles away. The city was already in terrible shape. I could only imagine how it looked now. As we got closer, we could see could see only thick smoke. You'd think it would dissipate by the time we arrived. "This is all your fault." Jones says, shielding his eyes from the smoke. "My fault? How is this my fault?" "Don't give me that. Your people did this." "My people?First of all we have no way of knowing who did this." Jones stops walking and turns to me. "I have a way of knowing because I have a brain. Your friends did this, and so that makes you a terrorist." "I'm a terrorist now?" I angrily blurt. "Yes you are, and I'm going to do something about it." Jones says as calmly as he can though his voice trembles. "What? Are you gonna shoot me? Maybe just arrest me?" "Not yet." Jones says, placing his rifle on the pavement. "I'm going to fight you." "What?" "I want to feel my knuckles crack your jaw." "Jones, this is stupid you-"  Before I could finish my thought, Jones slugs me in the face. I turn slightly to spit blood. "There, now its your turn to take a hit at me." He says, excitedly. "Jones, this is hardly the time." "That means you forfeit your turn." Jones quickly punches me in the stomach. It causes me to bend over in an attempt to catch my breath. Now I'm mad. I ball my hand into a fist and give Jones an uppercut. "That's it." He shouts, clasping his jaw. "Are we done now?" I ask, impatiently. "Not on your life." Jones tries punch me in the face again, this time I duck out of the way. However, he is more clever than I realized. He sweeps my legs. I fall down hard. I grope the floor furiously until I find his rifle. I turn sharply and point it at him. "Are we done yet?" I ask again. Jones stands motionless. "I understand you're angry, but you fighting me isn't going to help right now. A bomb just went off which means that there are many, many people who probably need our help right. I know it's scary, but we have to go into the smoke right."

No comments:

Post a Comment