Followers

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Rodgers Down

The devilish smiley face cast a cold, dark shadow over the city. It stretched several blocks. We looked up in horror as it inched closer to the Grand Tower, opening its mouth wider and wider. I had never seen it do that before. I had never seen it come so close to the Grand Tower. The smiley face opened its mouth wider still, and before I knew it it swallowed the Grand Tower whole. The smiley face then turned into a thick, yellow mist that lingered for a few minuets before passing. When the mist dissipated the Grand Tower was transformed. Every single door and window was boarded up. It appeared as if it was uninhabited now. Curiously, we walked towards the building. There we saw, near the entrance Sgt. Rodgers down. She had been shot in the neck and was bleeding profusely. She looked up at the three of us. "Never thought I'd see you again." "Which one of us were you referring to?" I ask. "Does it matter?" She says. "I suppose not." "Where's Freddy? " Norm asks, cutting to it. "I don't know. He was afraid. So he took off." "Because of the bombs?" I accuse. Sgt. Rodgers squints her eyes at me. "I'm dying and you're going to get nasty with me?" "Did you bomb them?" I ask. "You're damn right I did, and I don't regret it either. How else were we supposed to win?" I shake my head. "Doesn't look like we are winning." Sgt Rodgers half smiles. "Maybe not now, but we will." "But how?" Olivia asks. Sgt. Rodgers removes the yellow globe with the pink heart trapped in it from her pocket and hands it Olivia. "With this." She says with her final breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment