Followers

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Norm's Fantasmagorical Fountain Shop

We slept until the early afternoon. I can't speak for Olivia, but I needed it. I was drained. When I get like that everything is dreary and focusing is impossible. So, I was glad to sleep. When I awoke I told Olivia all about Norm. I said how he was going to help us. That he was working diligently all night to clean the shop. It was difficult at first, but I got us both to be excited about an immaculate store just by talking. I shouldn't have tried, however.  We went downstairs only to find the place as dirty as we left it, and no Norm in sight. "Me thinks we've been deceived." Olivia says. "Is that you guys?" Norm shouts in the distance. "Yes, where are you?" I ask. "I'm outside. I'm almost done." "With what?" "I'll show you. Just come out here." We walk outside. The sudden sunlight nearly blinds me, but I'm still able to see the litter, the broken glass, and the door that's falling off the hinges. "Alright we're here." I say, annoyed. "Check it out." He says with a big smile. He points to an old fashioned, 50's style, electric sign with twisty letters. It reads Norm's Fantasmagorical Fountain Shop. Olivia starts to read the sign ouloud. "Oh, I almost forgot." Norm flips a switch in the back of the sign. It now has bright, neon, orange letters. "Norm's Fantasmagorical Fountain Shop." Olivia says in puzzlement. "Yeah, what do ya think?" "That's the name we're going with?" Olivia replies. "It's the best one we came up with." He smiles. Olivia turns to me. "Is it?" "Nevermind the name. We can't put it up." I say. "And why not?"  "Because we still have a lot to do. We can't have this sign. It'll attract people." "But I thought that's what we wanted." He says, baffled. "Not now. Not yet. Turn it off." I shout. Norm rolls his eyes. He complies with my wish, but it takes him longer than it should. It seems as though he is examining something on the sign or the window. Then he chuckles to himself. "What?" I say with gritted teeth. He turns slowly. By the time I see his face he has a cocky smile. "We're too late. Someone's here."

No comments:

Post a Comment