Followers

Monday, May 8, 2017

Unhappy Customer

There was indeed someone sitting there. I could tell just by glancing  that it was a soldier. He wore a light grey, camouflage uniform. Resting beside his booth was a wooden crutch.We tried our best to creep in unnoticed, but you can't sneak up on a soldier. Even if that soldier happens to be an ambutee. "Bout time you arrived." He shouts. "How did you get in?" I ask. "Front door was wide open." "But we were all out there. No one saw you enter." Well, I did. Now are you gonna serve me or not?" He turns to us. He has a deep, crimson scar that runs down under his left eye. "I don't know how to put this." Olivia says. "Don't know how to put what?" He replies, impatiently. "We don't have any ice cream." I blurt. The soldier sighs loudly. "What do you have?" "Nothing." "What do you mean nothing?" "We don't have anything." I clarify. The soldier turns beat red. "Then why do you have the sign?" I glare at Norm. "I don't know." The soldier sarcastically smiles. "I should have known this would happen. I should have know. Every time I get excited about something good shit happens. Ain't nothing good in this world." There is a cold silence. I try my best to diffuse the situation.  "We may not have ice cream, but we have lodging." "You have lodging?"  I nod. "We do." "Don't pull at my heart strings. I can't take much more of this." He warns. "We're not. We have rooms above the shop. They're open now. You can rest there if you like." Olivia says. The soldier exhales. "It would be nice to sleep in an actual bed. The past couple months I've been in tents." Olivia nods and turns to me. "Could you show him a room?"

No comments:

Post a Comment