Followers

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Running Water

"What's that, little fella?" The wounded soldier says to Norm, leaning into his cane. "I ..umm fixed the water situation."  "Did he say we have water?" The soldier asks me. "Yes, he did." Norm says, annoyed, brushing past the two of us. Norm hops onto the counter and walks to the sink. "Behold." He shouts. He flips the faucet. A thick, black sludge comes out. "Gross." I say to myself, but loud enough Norm hears."It's natural. Just wait. " The thick black sludge is followed by spurts of a copper color and then a steady, thin, yellow. Norm shuts off the water. "What do you think?" "It's come a long way." Olivia says, trying to be as supportive as she can. "We have running water?" The soldier replies with wide eyes. Norm perks up. "Sure do." "And this would be everywhere? Not just here, but also upstairs?" "Yep?" "And would we have hot water?" "We should." The soldier smiles. "I'm going to take a shower." "Are you sure you want to do that?" Olivia asks. "I'm very sure."  "But the water is yellow." "Color doesn't bother me. It's warm. That's what I like to hear." "We don't even have soap yet." She says. "I don't mind. Hot water is a luxury I have not gotten to enjoy in a while. And that's what I plan on doing right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment