Followers

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Two Possibilities

"No one's here." I say to Olivia after quite some time. "You mean no one's here now?" She says. I nod slowly as I stare into the cold space. "What would be worse?" I ask."If someone comes or if we were all alone?" Olivia squints her eyes. "Excuse me?" "What would be worse? If someone comes, or if were were all all alone?" I repeat. "I've heard that before. Haven't I?" "Possibly. What do you think though?" "It's a quote,right" She asks, changing the subject. "Sort of." "Well, how does the one go that I'm thinking of?" "Two possibilities exist. Either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." "Whoa." Olivia says, simply. I smile. "Right?" "So, who said that?" She asks. "Arthur C. Clarke. He was science fiction writer." "Ever read anything by him?" "Can't say I have." I reply. There is a brief pause. "Well, I know for a fact that we are not alone in the universe, and parts of it are indeed terrifying." She says. I nod. "Now imagine if we were all alone? Wouldn't that be kinda terrifying as well?" Olivia shrugs. "I guess, but that's hard for me to imagine because I know we are not alone." I continue to stare up at the empty space. "That may be, but we're alone here. Can we keep moving?" "Yes, but I'd like to keep the shield up. At least for now."

No comments:

Post a Comment