Followers

Friday, January 2, 2015

Blockage

"If we continue down the path we're stuck in a loop, but what if we turn around?" I ask. Olivia glances over her shoulder and sees the darkness behind us. "It's worth a shot." She says. We turn around, and attempt once more to leave the tunnel. At first it feels much like when we entered. No light, and relying purely on sound to guide us. It soon felt confining though. An intense pressure was forcing itself on us from every direction. Boxing us in. The air became thinner. Despite, or because of the lack of vision, it felt more and more like we were walking in place. "I can't breathe!" I shout out. "Me either, let's turn around." Almost immediately the pressure dissipates as we head back down the path. We keep walking and my doppelganger reemerges in the same exact spot. "I think this is something we have to deal with." Olivia tells me. " Yep." Olivia fires a pink heart into his chest. He doesn't budge, but I feel a warm glow and a smile on my face. Olivia notices right away. Curious, Olivia tries an experiment. She reaches over to my doppelganger and carefully flicks his ear. He doesn't flinch, but I react as though it were mine, grasping my right ear. "You're him, and he's you." Olivia explains. "No way." "Need further proof?" Olivia slaps his face. "Ow! That hurt." I exclaim. "Sorry, just proving a point." "Ok, we're one in the same, but what do we do?" I ask. "I don't know. We can't hurt him because that would hurt you, but we can't move past him either." I step closer. My face is inches from his. Our eyes are locked on each other. "There may be a third option." I say to Olivia without breaking my stare. "What is it?" She asks. "We go through." I walk on and crash against him. To me, he does not feel like a person, but rather a heavy wind. A heavy wind that tries its best to keep me away. I persist and press on. His head becomes one with my head. It is painful at first. Then it is like nothing. Like a ghost. No, lighter than a ghost. Before I know it, my doppelganger is gone. Enveloped in me. Olivia looks on in amazement, and I stare straight ahead towards the exit and natural light.

No comments:

Post a Comment