Followers

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Out of Dark Places

We don't say much to one another on our journey back to the ranch house. There isn't any anger or animosity, rather it is a comfortable silence. Words can fail often, but pictures remain. We are out of the dark, scary jungle and on the farm once more. The dinosaurs are waking up, stretching their long necks to the sky. They let out thunderous yawns that leave behind icy clouds. It's winter now, and though temperatures have been warmer for the average January, I can't help but wonder how these giant, naked creatures stay warm. This is a concept that has been explained to me time and time again. That animals, all animals are not like humans. That they know how to survive the most extreme temperatures. Whether that means developing layers of fur and fat or going under ground. That is the science I have been taught. Still, how can anyone really know? If I gaze into their weary eyes will I know their worries. Will I know their struggles? I trek past one of them, I am almost tempted to stop and contemplate this matter further. I know I can't though. The dinosaurs have managed this long, they're fine. After that personification detour, we made it to Doug and Sheri's kitchen. Sheri was staring out the window with a worried look upon her face. " What was out there?" She asks. " I don't know." I respond. Sheri slants her head. " I don't understand. You were out there." "It's a void." Olivia chimes in. " A void?" Sheri asks, puzzled. Olivia opens a cabinet and pulls out a box of pop tarts. " Yeah, a void. I don't think it's meant to be defeated though." Olivia says putting two pop tarts into the toaster. Sheri sits down and starts breathing heavily. Olivia stands by her side and comforts her. "It's nothing to fight, but rather, to learn from." "What are we supposed to learn from it?" She asks. " I think it's different for everybody." I jump in. Olivia looks up and gives and approving nod. The Pop Tarts spring up. I grab a plate and toss them on to it. My hands only slightly burning afterwards. I offer the breakfast treat to Sheri. However comforting the words may have been, they did not eaze her worried mind. Sheri rips a corner off the Pop Tart. "They're not something to be afraid of, but they're not something to run after either." Olivia explains. " What do I do then?" Sheri asks. Olivia sits down. "Just that. Don't be afraid of the dark places. Let them stay where they are. Don't sneak into to those parts, but if they come to you, then you deal with it."

No comments:

Post a Comment