Followers

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Jungle Friend

The jungle is wild and strange. Even in the daylight one never knows what may be lurking nearby. Off in the distance we see vines and branches being thrown down by a machete. "Who could be here?" Olivia wonders. A few more layers and branches get hacked away. We now see a man standing before us. He looks about late fifties. He has thin balding hair. He wears John Lennon sunglasses and a Hawaiian shirt. "What brings you here?" He asks, surprised. "I could ask you the same thing." I reply. "I live here." He says, casually. "You live here?" Olivia reiterates. "Well, technically this jungle isn't part of my property, but no one comes out here." He responds. "Are you aware there are dinosaurs out there?" Olivia asks. "Yeah, that's my Brachiosaurus farm." "What?" I say in shock, as if it has not registered. "You know, like an Emu farm, but with dinosaurs." He elaborates. Olivia and I look at each other. "What? You've never seen a dinosaur before?" He continues. "Not until today." I tell him. "That's weird. Where are you two from?" He asks. "All over the place." Olivia says, quickly. "And neither of you has ever seen a dinosaur?" We both shake our heads no. "If you want I could show you around. Then if you're hungry and want to stay, my wife is making ribs." He informs us. "That would be great!" I respond enthusiastically. I heard free food and that is a go for me. The man smiles and puts out his hand. "The name is Douglass." We shake his hand and he begins to lead us out of the jungle. "Just one thing." I say. "What's that?" He asks. "You don't have any T- Rex's do you?" He takes off his sunglasses and looks at me, confused. "Why would I?" "I have no idea." I respond, sheepishly. He walks past me and utters to himself. " A T - Rex? That would be like a Tiger in an Emu farm." A social faux pas? I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.

No comments:

Post a Comment