Followers

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Tunnel

Chilled to the bone. Chilled to the bone. Winter is not for the faint of heart. Am I being dramatic? More than likely. The days are getting longer, and this isn't cold. At least not in my strictest definitions of the word. This here, this is freezer burn. A sharp, icy bite to wake one from a deep slumber. Olivia and I have been walking for what feels like miles. We talk about everything and nothing. Crunching the snow beneath our feet. We walk and walk till the sidewalk ends. It's not quite like in the Shell Silverstein sense of the word we're were hovering over a void with land somewhere below us. This was merely just an unfinished sidewalk. Stopping a few feet in front of a dark tunnel. It almost looked as though the city planners did not want any one to go through. With no light emanating from the inside, it certainly did not look welcoming. But we would not be scared off. Not today, and not so easily. The grass leading up to the tunnel was hard and freezing. A wind whistled from the mouth of the tunnel. Ushering us in. We clench our fists and enter. There is no light. All we can do is rely on our hearing. Paying close attention to our shoes clanking against the pavement. We walk in darkness for a few minuets, holding each other's hands. Slowly a light begins to appear in the distance. It is faint a first, but becomes brighter the closer we get. Eventually we can make out a silhouette. "Is someone waiting for us?" Olivia asks. "I don't know." "Who are you?" Olivia asks as we continue to walk. The silhouette does not respond. "Do you think it's hostile?" I query. " I don't know, but I'm preparing." Olivia opens her palm and faces it in the silhouettes direction as we walk ever closer. All of the sudden something catches my eye. I see the silhouette has a hood. I run up to it and notice that this person, this thing is my doppelganger. From my hood and cape, to my shield, to my expression. It's me, or a look a like. He doesn't move though. He just stands there , motionless. Olivia looks at me then the doppelganger. "Which one is you?" She asks. " I'm pretty sure I'm me and that is something else." I respond. Olivia examines it closely. "He follows me with his eyes." "Can you blame him?" I tell her. Olivia smirks. "I mean his body doesn't move. His eyes do though. He's like the Mona Lisa." "Huh, weird." I say while walking past him. "That's it?" Olivia questions. "He doesn't seem like a threat. Let's keep going." Olivia is slightly disappointed that I brush of the incident so easily, but she continues past the doppelganger as well. It looks as though we are about to exit the tunnel when it unexpectedly grows dark again. Just like before we rely on our hearing to guide us, and just like before we are met at the end of the tunnel by a silhouette who looks remarkably like me. Olivia turns to me. "He may not be a threat, but we have to find out how to get out of here."

No comments:

Post a Comment