Followers

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Dinosaur Farm

The dinosaur farm is a vast valley. It stretches for miles and miles. I wonder if Douglas has ever seen all of it. Currently we are near the reservoir that Olivia and I were at previously. Two Brachiosaurus drink from the water. One chomps down on leaves from a nearby tree, and a fourth has its back turned to us. He stares out into the horizon. "That one is Galahad." Douglas says, pointing to the one eating leaves. " You named them after the nights of the round table?" Olivia asks. "Sort of. My wife wanted to name them after the seven dwarfs, so we compromised. Some are knights and some are dwarfs." Douglas points to the two drinking from the reservoir. "That's Doc and Happy." Olivia smiles. "It's neat two dwarfs are together." Douglas grins. "Yeah. And then we have Sleepy, Robin, and Arthur around here somewhere." "What about that one?" I ask, pointing to the one facing away from us. "Oh, that's Robert De Niro." "Why Robert De Niro?" I ask. Douglas looks surprised that I would ask such a question. "Look at him. His back turned to us. He's got this "You talkin' to me" attitude. So it wouldn't make sense to name him after a dwarf or a knight." "I guess not." I reply. Douglas turns and starts to walk away. " Come on, I want to show you one more thing before we go in." We temporarily walk away from the dinosaurs down a green hill. We step over what appears to be a crushed, brown picket fence. Douglas leads us past the rubble to a giant hole in the ground. It is about the size and width of a small car. It looks as if it is a couple feet deep. More alarming still is that this hole is only a few feet away from a quaint ranch home. "Did one of the dinosaurs do this?" I ask. Douglas nods. " Robert De Niro is a little scamp, but don't worry I gave him a talking to about it." "And he understood?" Olivia questions. "Yes, I told him you can't do that sort of thing and he feels terrible about it." "You know how he feels?" Olivia pries deeper. " You spend enough time with them and you start to understand how they think." He responds. "That may be, but you had to of known that fence wouldn't be strong enough." I blurt out. "I'm sure in the back of my head I realized that, but it was really more of a privacy thing." "There is no one out here." I say. "Maybe not people, but I don't want one of those guys to see me changing. That's just weird." "Fair enough." Olivia says. "Even still, you guys don't understand what this means." He tells us. "What does it mean?" I ask. "You know, when this happened I wracked my brain trying to figure out how to fix it. Then, like a flash of lightening, it came to me." He says with his eyes wide. "I'm gonna transform this into a hot tub." "That's not a bad idea." I say, staring down into the pit. "Of course it's not. Relax you in every way. And maybe if the mood strikes, a little naked hot tubing with the Mrs." He says , nudging me with his elbow. "Thank you so much for that image." I say, sarcastically. "Sexuality is a perfectly natural thing." He explains. "I know, but I don't need to hear about your exploits." I tell him. Douglas raises his eyebrow. "You ashamed of your body?" He asks. "No." "Then what's the problem?" "Aren't you concerned about your privacy?" Olivia chimes in. "You are right, and I would fix the fence before I did anything. Or if it came down to it, and I just couldn't wait, and the hot tub was done first, I would just put up a curtain. Or maybe a predator decoy to keep them away." Douglas lightly smacks his forehead. "That's brilliant. I should have done that a long time ago." He says to himself. I shake my head. "I'm just living my life. Spicing things up here and there where I can. Sorry if you don't like the image of my naked body ingrained in your brain." I cringe and Douglas chuckles. He pauses and then says "Ready for ribs?"

No comments:

Post a Comment