Followers

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Mud Storm

We arrive at the jungle. Not a soul in sight. We wait patiently and listen. Listen for anything stirring. Nothing seems to be moving. All of the sudden something splashes my face. A moment later, that something hits Olivia. "Is it raining?" She asks. "It doesn't feel like rain." I respond. "Then what is it?" I get hit on the chin. The impact pushes me back slightly. I run my fingers along my chin. I grab something that is wet and cold. I put that hand under my flashlight beam. "It's mud!" I shout. We point the flashlights to the ground and notice small bits of mud detaching themselves from the ground and going up to the sky. It looks like reverse rain. The reverse mud rain soon picks up. The small bits of mud turn to large chunks. The chunks knock us over. We have to crawl to get out of the storm. Only problem is, the ground is where it is coming from. So it hits us, and tries to push us up at the same time. We have to dig our fingers in to the Earth and pull ourselves across the terrain. When it finally looks as though we are out of the storm, it changes direction. This time it turns into a tornado that surrounds us. Miraculously, we are not sucked up. Rather, it encircles us. The mud ascends the air in a spiral. It does this quickly at first, then slows. It is almost as slow as when it started out. I look up at the sky. "Do you think it's over?" I ask. Olivia puts up her shield. "I don't know, but I'm not taking any chances."

No comments:

Post a Comment