Followers

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Questioning the Centipede

We weren't 100% sure where the Box Elders ran off to. It was likely that the went back to the motel. However, I wouldn't put it past them to move on to the next town already. The only way to know for sure would be to ask the front desk. Just like when we checked in the first time, we saw a sleeping centipede behind the desk. Myrtle coughed politely in hopes hopes of waking him. It didn't work, and I didn't feel like waiting around, so I pounded on the desk as hard as I could. He woke up, startled. "Huh? What?" "Hi, we were just wondering if The Box Elders are staying here tonight?" Myrtle asks. The centipede squints his eyes. "Who?" "The Box Elders? They're a band." I say. He scratches his head. "I think I've heard of them." "You should. They were here last night." I say. His eyes open. "Oh yeah. I've heard of them, but I couldn't tell you if they were here." "That means they're here." Myrtle squeeled. "No it means I can't tell if they were here." "They're here. They're here." Myrtle says , jumping up and down. "No. That's not what I said." "Can you just cut the shit and give us their room numbers?" I ask. "I can't do that. I can't give out room numbers." "Why not?" Olivia asks. "Because that's confidential information and I don't want to get fired." "But we know the band." I say. "Sure you do,and I'm the mayor." He quips. Olivia and I stare at him. "I'm not, but I'm still not giving out the room numbers, so you can give up." "It's fine. We can try to find them in the morning. " Mitch says. I sigh. "Sure." I glance at the clock on the wall. It's now almost five. "I guess we better get a room for the night." The centipede flips through his book. "Sorry. Looks like all our rooms are filled." "What?" "Shoulda come here earlier." I  am now beat red. Mitch places his hand on my shoulder. In a comforting voice he says "Why don't you stay with us tonight? We have a pull out couch." I look to Olivia. She half smiles and shrugs. I look back to Mitch. "Sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment