Followers

Friday, March 17, 2017

Slot Machine

Seven, bell, cherry. Cherry, seven, diamond. Diamond, diamond, cherry.  Damn it! But I'm getting closer. I know I am. I pull the lever to the slot machine. I know there is a button I could press instead. That would be quicker, and in theory I would receive my winnings faster. However, I find the lever more fun. I pull with all my might. This one is the one. I can feel it. The symbols on the slot machine spin 'round and 'round. I tap my fingers impatiently. First symbol, bell. Second symbol, bell. I hold my breath. The third symbol spun and spun until finally landing on seven. Fuck. I looked down at my cup. My coins were vastly diminishing, and I hadn't won yet. I could move to another slot machine, but with my luck that's when an old lady would swoop in and win big. I couldn't let that happen. I took out a new coin. Just as I'm getting ready to throw the coin in I hear a guitar riff. It is haunting and familiar. The riff is followed by a very deep voice singing the opening line to Neil Diamond's "Girl, You'll Be a Woman." I glanced over my shoulder to see the Box Elders on stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment