Followers

Friday, March 3, 2017

The Box Elders

The concert didn't start till late at night. Almost midnight to be precise, but because Olivia and I were there since the early afternoon we didn't have to pay the minimum  $10 entrance fee. It was something that I didn't want to question nor brag about. Perhaps the flea' s thinking was that I'd end up drinking and eating twice that amount during my stay. At any rate, I was overjoyed when the band finally took the stage. They were a quartet of boxelder bugs. One drummer, one bass guitarist, one rhythm guitarist, and one tall, spindly singer. Without saying any introduction they went right into a rocking cover of the Boxtops' "The Letter." Followed directly by "Sweet Cream Ladies." "After that they did The Animals' "House of the Rising Sun." Then the Kinks' "You Really Got Me." It was one 60's hit after another. Maybe I was a little drunk, but I was really enjoying them. I didn't want them to stop, but alas all good things must end. They ended their set by bringing things down a bit. Their last song was the Boxtops' "A Whither Shade of Grey." A perfect bookend I thought. "Thank you. We're the Box Elders." The singer said after he finished his song. Unfortunately, I think the only other person in room who shared my enthusiasm for the band was Olivia. I clapped loudly and obnoxiously. I think if I wasn't two sheets to the wind I would have embarrassed myself, but the band seemed to appreciate it. The singer came back to our table a few minutes later to thank us for the support. "You guys were amazing." Olivia says. "Thank you." The singer says humbly. "No, you don't get it. You guys were great. You were fun, and that's what we need. Fun." I add. "Well, we try to be fun." "I was really enjoying your music ." Olivia says. "Thanks. I'm glad."  "I just don't get what's wrong with everyone else." I say. The singer shrugs. "I'm not surprised. We're the opening act. People usually aren't as warm for the opener." "You're the opening act?" Olivia says, surprised. "Yeah, and it looks like we have some time before the main act takes stage. Care for a drink with me and my mates?" I look to Olivia. I could tell she was thinking the same thing I was. That one more drink might not be the best idea, but brush with celebrity, however small or local it may be is hard to turn down.Olivia smiled big and bright. "We'd love to."

No comments:

Post a Comment