Followers

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Room 56

It is hard to find a motel room in the dark. Even harder to find it when most the room numbers are falling off. Olivia and I practically had to walk up to each door, but we eventually found it. Room 56. The six was flipped over. To the untrained eye it could easily look like Room 59. Our key, however, fit in the door. So, that right there dispelled any doubts. The first thing I noticed was the lack of windows on any of the oatmeal walls. "Guess he wasn't kidding when he said there was no view." I say. "I don't know about that." Olivia says, walking over to a small tube T.V. "This is our window to the world." She turns on the T.V.  It's static. She flips the channels. Nothing but static. "Maybe not." "At least there is a bed." I point out. "Thank God." Olivia leaps onto the bed. She spreads out in a starfish position. "How is it?" I ask. "Terrible. This has got to be the world's hardest mattress." "At least it's something." "I suppose." I sit down by the desk in the corner. I unlace my shoes. All the sudden I start chuckling to myself. "What's so funny?" Olivia asks. "Well, normally I'd be worried about bed bugs in a place like this, but it's very possible they're next door to us." Olivia groans. "Don't remind me." I decide to change the subject. "Would you like to leave River Bank tomorrow?" "No, we can stay. I just don't think I can trust breakfast here." "Fair enough." And with that, I turn out the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment