Followers

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Parallel Universe?

Olivia and I sit at a booth and drink our cappuccinos. I wouldn't exactly call them top quality beverages, but they were free, and it's hard for me to argue with fee. Especially if it contains caffeine. "What do you think Norm's deal is?" Olivia asks, blowing on her steaming hot drink. "What do you mean deal?" "C'mon , friendship?" "He missed us." Olivia raises an eyebrow. "You don't think he missed us?" I ask. "It just seems odd." She says. "What's odd about it?" "Friendship? He never talked like that before." "Maybe he's getting sentimental in his old age." I suggest. Olivia shakes her head. "I don't buy it." I shrug. "Then I guess we're in a parallel universe." "That doesn't make sense either." "Why not?" I ask. "Because he knows who we are."  "That's not necessarily how parallel universes work." I say. "Well, how do they work?" Olivia asks, leaning forward. I bite my lip. "It depends. You could enter another universe that is wildly different, or you could go to one that is virtually the same except for one detail that changed." "And that would be Norm being nicer?" I nod. "Think of parallel universes as other choices you could have taken or possibilities you could have had. They're all out there somewhere." I say, gesturing to the heavens. "So then are we in a parallel universe?" Olivia asks. "I don't know, and we may never know to be honest." Olivia half smiles. "What do you want to believe?" I ask. "I don't know. But I like this reality ok. Especially now that we have the blueprints. Speaking of which, did you bring them with?" "No, I didn't think to. I should have. That's not something we should leave out in the open." I say. Olivia shakes her head. "I wouldn't worry about it. No one's going up there. No one but us."

No comments:

Post a Comment