Followers

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Trick Or Treaters

Call me crazy, but I've always enjoyed the dead corn stalk aesthetic. Not sure what it is exactly. Maybe its just because it is a symbol of fall, and this time of year seems a magical time for me. It's cool, but not cold. There is change in the air. You don't know what's gonna happen, but there's usually a feeling of wonderment. I see the crows enjoy the dead corn stalk aesthetic as well. Apparently the scarecrows are not doing their jobs. It doesn't matter though. It's not as if there are any crops for the crows to steal. It takes us a while for us to get to the little farmhouse. When we arrive we see an elderly man on the front porch. He wears overalls and rocks back and forth in his rocking chair. "Greetings." He says to us. "Hi." Olivia and I reply back. "Thought you guys would never make it." He says with a smile. "You knew we were coming?" I ask. "Well, sure. My eyesight ain't what it used to be, but I could still see ya coming. Now, who would you be?" "I'm Olivia and this is Scott." Olivia replies. The old man raises and eyebrow. "Where are you from?" "Illinois." I say. "I meant are you characters from a T.V. show? You'll have to forgive me I'm not as familiar with pop culture as I used to be." Olivia shakes her head. "We're not from anything." "So, you came up with these costumes yourselves?" We nod our heads. The old man half smiles. "Points for originality." He picks up a  plastic jack o lantern filled with candy by his feet. Olivia and I suddenly realize what is going on. "I'm sorry, there has been some miscommunication." Olivia says. He squints his eyes. "I don't understand."
"We're not trick or treaters." Olivia explains. "But you're in costume." "But we're not here for candy." I say. The old man sits up right. "Then what are you here for?" I shrug. "Just somewhere to rest for a couple minuets." The old man grabs his shotgun that was resting against the wall. "Listen, I don't know who or what you are, but unless you are here for candy you are tresspassin'." "We were just kidding. We're really here for skittles." Olivia says. The old man looks into the jack o lantern. "I have milk duds and twizzlers." "That's perfect." I say. He holds up the bucket. Olivia and I start to take candy. He pulls it away from us. "You're forgetting just one thing." Olivia and I look at each other. "You know, the magic words." "Trick or treat." We both say at the same time and a little unsure of ourselves. "That's right." He offers the candy again. We comply, taking a milk duds and twizzlers. We thank him, and start to walk away. "Mrs. Thomas is the next house over. I would hit her up." We thank him again, and then walk away with out looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment