Followers

Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Fool's Wisdom

You would think that as king and Queen of a forgotten society we'd be able to sleep in. That wasn't the case at all. The jester woke us up at the crack of dawn. He didn't do it in a gentle way either. He whipped the blankets off our bodies. He did give us the option of sleeping another half hour though. However, when I'm up I can't for the life of me go back to sleep. Olivia, on the other hand had no problem. I waited outside the cave while she slept. I stared out onto the horizon wondering where I was. My body was wide awake, but my mind hadn't caught up yet. Had we really stumbled upon a lost society and masqueraded as Gods? I placed my hand against the cave. The cold stone beneath my palm was confirmation enough that it was real. Had it been a dream, I wouldn't have felt anything. Once the half hour was up the Jester came back as promised. He woke Olivia and lead us to bottom of the waterfalls. I have mixed feelings about this place. The scenery is lovely, but it reminds me of loss. It's the last place we saw Penny and Peter as Peter. "This will be a good place to stay for now." The Jester shouts over the falling water. "Stay?" I repeat. "Yes, stay. While the others sleep." "Why can't we just sleep?" Olivia asks groggily. "Because Gods don't sleep. At least not that much." He replies. "You sure about that?" I ask. "Well, I can't imagine them sleeping too much." Olivia and I look at each other. "What do we do when everybody else sleeps?" Olivia asks. "We wait. There isn't anything to do. Might I suggest taking in the scenery?" "We know this place. We've seen it before." I say, disenchanted. "But have you really seen it?" He asks. "I don't know what that means." He smiles. "I know, because you are not the chosen ones." I bite my lip. "Let's cut to the chase, how do you know?" "The fool is amusing, but the fool is also wise." "I have no idea what that means." I say. "Because you think too much . You don't think like me." "All I know is that if you know that means that everybody else must know." Olivia remarks. The Jester shakes his head. "Not so, not so at all." "Ok, assuming that you're right and no one else has a clue, what do we do now?" I ask. "I will tell them all your secret." "What?" Olivia shouts. "Do not be afraid, for no one believes the word of the fool. Once I spill the beans, there will be no suspicion. None at all. Not even from Ms. Ruth." I take a deep breath. "I guess that makes sense. " The jester nods. "Good. You two take in the scenery. I will practice my lines, and then at breakfast time I will tell all your secret."

No comments:

Post a Comment